Statement, Oliver Zipse, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, World Premiere of the first-ever BMW iX3 Tuesday, 14 July 2020, 10:00 a.m.
Hello everyone! A very warm welcome to the world premiere of the BMW iX3.
At BMW, we have always been at the forefront of sustainable mobility. We continue to push forward at a fast pace – always focusing on the needs of our customers.
Already back in 2007, we began a new era of sheer electric driving pleasure with “project i”. And around 180,000 customers of the fully electric BMW i3 are proof of this. Today, with our broad range of plug-in hybrids, customers can enjoy electrified driving in all of our model segments.
Now we are rapidly expanding our line-up of pure electric vehicles: Just think of the very cool MINI Electric – and now our first pure electric Sports Activity Vehicle, the BMW iX3. Next year you can look forward to the BMW i4 and the iNEXT. And I promise you, there will be many more to come.
Our timing is perfect, because customer demand is rising.
And with convenient charging solutions at home or at work, we will boost demand even more.
At BMW, we think well beyond the vehicle itself. For us, it’s all about making a true difference. And that’s why we have decided to implement a completely new and even more comprehensive strategy for sustainability.
We will focus on three areas:
- To further strengthen our position as a role model when it comes to sustainable, resource-saving production.
- Creating a sustainable, CO2 neutral supply chain.
- The utilization phase of our vehicles concerning CO2 emissions. We will further reduce our CO2 emissions, even beyond the EU target.
All of this shows: We consistently take a sustainable approach across the entire value chain. This is what sets us apart.
Here are a few examples which underline this:
In production, we reduced our CO2 emissions per vehicle by 25 percent last year, compared to 2018. We are sourcing all of our external power from renewable energy.
And we are working hand in hand with our suppliers to reduce our CO2 footprint in the supply chain. For example, the production of high-voltage batteries is very energy-intensive. We have signed contracts with all our cell suppliers: They will only use renewable energy to produce our fifth-generation battery cells. This will save around ten million tons of CO2 within the next ten years. This is roughly the amount of CO2 that a city like Munich – with almost one and a half million people – emits each year.
We are strongly committed to climate protection. And we put words into action: We have greatly reduced the CO2 footprint of our vehicle fleet. In 2020 alone, we will cut it by more than twenty percent. We are achieving this by offering a wider range of electric models, and also by increasing the efficiency of our conventional engines.
In Europe we are making excellent progress: Next year, 25 percent of our fleet will be electrified. In 2025, we will reach 33 percent. And in 2030, 50 percent of our sales will be electrified.
Ultimately, it’s all about the Power of Choice. Our customers will always be able to choose the right drivetrain for their particular needs.
The BMW X3 clearly embodies our strategy of intelligent and flexible vehicle platforms. We can fit this model with any drivetrain we need – and produce them on the same production line. Whatever our customers demand, we deliver. And I promise you: All variants will have the same high level of functionality, comfort and quality.
Customers can choose from a range of drivetrains, such as highly efficient diesel engines with 48 Volt Mild Hybrid support. This is an important technology for customers who drive long distances. And of course they fulfill the highest regulatory standards of real-driving emissions.
We also offer the X3 with petrol engines in four different performance levels, right up to the sporty X3 M. With the new particle filters and 48 Volt support, they are the cleanest conventional engines we have ever built.
The X3 is also available as a plug-in hybrid, making it a great choice for commuters who desire a very low CO2 footprint.
Today we are presenting the BMW iX3, our first fully electric Sports Activity Vehicle. It is also our first model to feature our self-developed and self-produced Gen5 electric drivetrain. It is highly integrated, without any rare earth materials, and extremely efficient. The Cobalt and Lithium we use originates from only trusted suppliers.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Please enjoy the world premiere of the fully electric BMW iX3!
This car has taken Efficient Dynamics to the next level. When we engineered this vehicle, our focus was on achieving an attractive range. At the same time, we are setting the benchmark in terms of efficiency.
The iX3 offers a range of more than 500 km in the New European Driving Cycle. And 460 km according to WLTP. And of course it drives like a BMW.
This creates a sweet spot for our customers: The balance of its low energy consumption and 150 Kilo-Watt fast-charging is perfect for every distance, also for long journeys. Our advanced battery technology makes all of this possible.
For us, it’s always about simplifying our customers’ lives. That’s why we created BMW Charging. In Europe, that means access to well over 150,000 charging points – and worldwide, at least double that amount. This is the most comprehensive charging network available.
We have also included a new App that recommends charging stops on long routes – showing the estimated charging time required. BMW Charging is one of the many digital innovations that we have developed for our customers.
The BMW iX3 features our latest BMW Operating System 7. This enables secure and convenient over-the-air updates. This means your system is always up to date.
Last but certainly not least, let´s talk about sound. Together with one of the world’s most famous music composers – Hans Zimmer – we are developing BMW Iconic Sounds for our electric vehicles. The iX3 already features a first composition from this cooperation: Just press the start / stop button, and you will be surrounded by the full emotional thrill of electro-mobility. What a sound! I really like it. And you can look forward to even more BMW iconic sounds in the future.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
At BMW, we are fully committed to climate protection and sustainable mobility. Our aspiration is to provide sustainable driving pleasure for our customers, no matter where they are around the world.
I promise you there will be many more exciting emission-free vehicles to come. So, stay tuned. Thank you for joining us today!
- Fully electric mobility celebrates its premiere in a BMW X model – the new BMW iX3 (fuel consumption combined in the NEDC test cycle: 0.0 l/100 km; electric power consumption combined: 17.8 – 17.5 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 0 g/km; fuel consumption combined in the WLTP test cycle: 0.0 l/100 km; electric power consumption combined: 19.5 – 18.5 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined: 0 g/km). Locally emission-free driving pleasure complements the sporting ability for which BMW is renowned and the comfort, multi‑faceted functionality and spaciousness of the successful BMW X3. Latest stage in the ongoing rollout of the BMW Group’s electrification strategy; technological expertise amassed in the development of BMW I cars utilised for the first time in a purely electrically powered model from the BMW core brand.
- New BMW iX3 will be the brand’s first model to also be produced for export at the Shenyang manufacturing facility in China. Market launch will begin in China later in 2020.
- Strategic “Power of Choice” approach covers broad spread of customer requirements and statutory regulations around the world: BMW X3 is the first model to be available with a petrol or diesel engine, plug-in hybrid drive system or all-electric drive system.
- New BMW iX3 blazes a trail for fifth-generation BMW eDrive technology. Major progress made in terms of power density, operating range, weight, installation space requirement and flexibility. Power density of the electric drive system increased by 30 per cent over the BMW Group’s existing fully electric vehicles; gravimetric energy density of the high-voltage battery at cell level up by 20 per cent. Latest versions of the electric motor, power electronics, charging technology and high-voltage battery (all developed in-house) will also be deployed in the BMW iNEXT and BMW i4 from 2021.
- Efficiency boosted significantly compared with the BMW i3 by highly integrated drive system technology. Electric motor, power electronics and transmission arranged in a central housing for the first time. Fifth-generation BMW eDrive high-voltage battery with the latest battery cell technology and gross energy content of 80 kWh enables operating range of up to 460 kilometres [285 miles] in the statutory new WLTP test cycle (up to 520 kilometres [323 miles] in the NEDC test cycle). BMW Group monitors compliance with environmental and social standards as part of its procurement process for the lithium and cobalt used in battery cells.
- Newly designed fifth-generation BMW eDrive electric motor produces maximum output of 210 kW/286 hp and peak torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft). Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h [62 mph] in 6.8 seconds (for purposes of comparison – BMW X3 30i: 6.4 seconds), top speed (electronically limited): 180 km/h [112 mph]. The design principle of a current-excited synchronous motor enables optimized power development and allows engineers to avoid the use of rare earths.
- Scope for varying degrees of recuperation enables choice between pronounced one-pedal feeling with extensive recuperation of braking and coasting energy in driving position B and adaptive recuperation including coasting function in driving position D. Recuperation level can be adjusted through three stages. Adaptive recuperation enhances driving comfort and efficiency by adjusting Brake Energy Regeneration and the coasting function to the driving situation at hand.
- Power transfer to the rear wheels delivers a classical BMW driving experience. Unrivalled combination of low electric power consumption and high charging capacity enables long-distance journeys at high average speeds. Adaptive suspension (fitted as standard) optimises sporting responses and comfort.
- BMW IconicSounds Electric. Newly developed soundscape for electrically powered BMW models makes its debut in the BMW iX3 and adds extra emotional depth to the driving experience. Powerful drive sound available in cars with the equipment line “Impressive”. Unmistakable composition when starting and deactivating the electric drive system developed in collaboration with Hans Zimmer.
- Bespoke charging products and services: BMW Charging Card provides simple and convenient access to currently more than 450,000 public charging points worldwide ; new Flexible Fast Charger (allowing use of different socket types) and high-output Wallboxes now available as options. Individual packages offer the optimum charging solution for every customer need.
- New digital services from BMW Connected Charging in the car and via the app promote user-friendly electric mobility and enhance navigation planning, including recommendations for charging stops. Navigation system factors mid-journey breaks to charge the high-voltage battery (includes detailed information on individual charging points) into route planning and calculation of arrival times.
- Optimized energy storage concept now enables vehicle charging capacity of up to 150 kW at DC fast-charging stations; Recharging from 0 to 80 per cent of the high-voltage battery’s capacity takes 34 minutes, 10-minute charge adds 100 kilometres [62 miles] of range (WLTP). BMW iX3 customers enjoy particularly favourable tariffs at IONITY fast-charging stations with a consumption dependent component of e.g. €0.29 per kWh for Germany)
- Characteristic proportions of a BMW X model combine with model-specific design features. Innovative BMW aerodynamic wheels: 19-inch light-alloy items with new, drag-reducing design fitted as standard.
- Premium interior ambience with model-specific accents. User-friendly, variable-usage cabin with high level of comfort for five people over everyday journeys and longer distances; load capacity can be expanded from 510 litres to as much as 1,560 litres.
- Wide-reaching standard specification (“Inspiring”) includes metallic paintwork, LED headlights, three-zone automatic climate control with pre‑heating and pre-conditioning, automatic tailgate operation, panoramic glass sunroof, Driving Assistant Professional and ambient lighting. Optional equipment line “Impressive” also brings 20-inch light-alloy wheels, acoustic glazing, sport seats, Vernasca leather trim, BMW Head-Up Display, Parking Assistant Plus and Harman Kardon Surround Sound.
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional with BMW Maps cloud-based navigation system and BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant as standard. Smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto preparation, Remote Software Upgrade and digital services from BMW Connected Charging also standard).
- Outstanding environmental credentials thanks to commitment to sustainability throughout the value chain. CO2 impact of the BMW iX3 over its entire lifecycle is significantly less than a BMW X3 xDrive20d; impact reduced by 30 per cent when using electricity from the European energy mix for charging and by around 60 per cent when using exclusively green energy.
Images courtesy of BMW