Despite all of its ongoing legal and PR issues (following the diesel emissions cheating scandal), it seems that Volkswagen is still chugging along just fine …. The company recently released a number of new teaser images of the luxury plug-in hybrid SUV concept that it will be revealing at the upcoming Beijing Auto Show — giving us a first look of sorts at the concept car.
The new plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) SUV concept has been described by the company as being indicative of its future direction — with a growing emphasis on “digitalization” of the company’s offerings, as well as an embrace of electric drivetrain technologies (so the company claims, anyway).
Here are some bullet points from Volkswagen:
- The concept is one of the most advanced luxury SUVs in the world
- Concept moves luxury SUV design to a more sporty and elegant level
- The vehicle further demonstrates Volkswagen’s continued digitilization of the automobile
- Digital operation and display system enables a completely new level of interactivity
- Active Info Display and infotainment system merge
- More than ever, the lounge-style interior and digitized operation are centered on passengers
- SUV has a plug-in-hybrid powertrain with 376 horsepower total output and 516 pound-feet of torque
- The fully electric range of the SUV is up to 50 kilometers or 31 miles
- The predicted NEDC combined fuel consumption is 78 mpg
- The concept accelerates from 0 to 62 mph in 6.0 seconds and has a top speed of 139 mph
As always with Volkswagen, who’s knows if there’s anything more to any of this other than talk. I guess that we’ll get a better idea after the upcoming show.