The Micro Mobility Systems Microlino could be the missing link in electric transportation. It’s tiny, it’s affordable, and it’s definitely an eye-catcher. But make no mistake about it — it’s not a car.
When is an electric car not a car? When it’s a quadricycle, of course, even when it looks like a car and drives like a car.
Switzerland probably isn’t
very high even on the list of countries that come to mind when talking about car makers, and although we’re comfortable with praising Swiss engineering of watches and pocketknives, cars are another thing altogether. But in the near future, a tiny electric car that’s a retooled version of the 1950s Isetta may find some traction among those who want a city vehicle that’s clean and quiet, can park in the leftover space between parking spots, and offers just enough room for a driver, a passenger, and their luggage or shopping bags.
The Microlino, which is expected to begin limited production in 2018, primarily for the European markets, is expected to cost “between 10,000 and 12,000 euros” (~$10,500 to $12,600), weigh about 450 kg (992 lb), with a top speed of 62 mph, and a range of up to 75 miles per charge (with an estimated four hour charge time).
“There is no need for 300 hp for daily shopping. The average covered distance is less than 35 kilometres per day and the average speed in urban stop-go traffic is well below 50 km/h. New types of vehicles are therefore required, which take account of this mode of use. Easy mobility with pedestrian protection instead of SUV’s with crash tests! The Microlino with its range of 100 kilometres and a maximum speed of 100 km/h is designed for use on 95% of average trips, unlike conventional cars whose design only considers the remaining 5%.” – Micro Mobility Systems
The Microlino premiered at the 2016 Geneva Auto Show, which ended up generating several thousand orders for the little electric
Find out more about the Microlino at Micro Mobility Systems.